Monday, February 10, 2003

GGGGOOOOOAAAAALLLLL!!!!!!


Friday night, I had another one of those moments which always reminds me of why I love playing soccer so much. It was our first Co-Ed game of the new season. We were leading 3-1 at half time but had not played as well the second half. It was now tied 4-4. Less than a minute left in the game. Our team was awarded an out of bounds free kick an just past mid-field. Dustin takes the in bounds kick and passes it to Heather, one of our forwards. As their defenders close down on her, she quickly passes the ball over to me. I have the ball just outside the top of the other teams goalie box, I hear the guys on the bench yelling, "10 seconds!!". One defender in front of me and one closing in quickly from my left. I throw a quick fake to my left and push the ball a couple feet out to my right. Wind-up, strike the ball as hard as i can... lower left corner, nothing but net. Game winner! Four seconds left, time runs out.. we win!! I have to say, there's nothing more satisfying in soccer than to see your opponents defenders collapse to the ground in exhaustion and frustration, knowing they are beat and there is nothing they can do. ha! Of course, ive been on that side of things before too, so i know how awful it feels. But, this was my time to smile. :)

No comments: