Thursday, August 17, 2006

Attempting to Convert


 
Today I had lunch with my good buddy, EVP. I talked him into trying out sushi with me at a local place I enjoy eating at about once a month. Now, EVP is normally steak and potatos type eater. Nothing really out of the ordinary. So getting him to even agree to have sushi for lunch was an accomplishment.

We arrived and began browsing the menu. So many types of sushi, so many choices! I could see EVP was overwelmed. He began asking the waitress what she recommends because he was such a noob and couldn't make up his own mind. She pointed out a lunch special which included 6 shrimp cali style rolls, plus 4 sushi of his choice. Again, he couldn't make up his mind so he told her to pick. She chose two salmon sushi and two tuna sushi. The plate arrived and I could see EVP's face. He looks up at me and say's "man I don't even know what to bite into first". This was all so new to him, he had no idea what to expect. I told him start with a cali-roll and see what he thought. He wrestled a bit with the chopsticks but mananged to pick one up, dip it in soy sauce and fit the whole thing into his mouth. He chewed and chewed, then chewed some more. I starred at him awaiting his answer. He said "well, its different". HA! Next he wanted to try the actual real sushi. But he didn't want the rice, just the slice of fish off the top. He didn't seem to mind it and continued to eat all four fish slices leaving the rice ball on this plate. He then went on to peel the rice layer off the cali-rolls and eat the rest of them piece by piece. When he was done, he almost had cleaned his plate, except for the rice from the rolls. I was impressed. For a guy who was terrified walking in, he did some damage to his lunch! But then EVP lets me down. On the way home, he confesses he will never eat sushi or there again. Too funny, I think he actually didn't mind it but he can't bring himself to admit it. That's ok, I accomplished my mission. Getting him to try sushi. One sushi hating friend down, dozens to go! Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok for the record it was expensive and being as cheap as I am I wouldn't order a $15.99 plate of anything and just leave it there after one bite. So I forced myself to try and try and try again in an effort to consume the crud in front of me. Honestly I wish I had just ordered the raw fish as with enough lemon juice on it they were TOLERABLE at best.

Thorpe is absolutely correct when he says I will not frequent that sushi or any other sushi place again.

I have also learned that if I am ever somehow stranded in the wilderness with nothing to eat but the raw fish I catch with my bear hands (and I mean bear not bare) I will survive until rescued.

What Thorpe fails to mention is he lures unsuspecting people to this place all the time and sits like a vulture on the Serengeti waiting for the wildebeast to die so he can swoop in and devour anything left on the plate.

It was an experience I will never forget so for the adventure I am gratefull.